Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Friday, April 10, 2015

Travel Day

April 10

Set the alarm for 6am but was wide awake at 5:28.  Just before 6:30 I received a message that my 9:35 flight was delayed until 10:37 and would arrive in Atlanta after noon.  One tiny problem - my connecting flight leaves Atlanta at noon!

I left home at 6:50 and arrived at Carolyn's around 7:15.  We transferred my bags to her car and were at the airport at 7:45.  Took about 30 minutes to get through the line and get my connecting flight changed.

Once again there was no line at security and I was TSA pre checked (don't know why) so I did not have to take off my shoes or get out any electronics.  

Flight has been rescheduled a number of times.  Right now departure is 12:32 but the plane hasn't left Atlanta yet to come get us because of the fog here. Latest text is the plane will leave at 1:27.  The fog seems to be clearing some but no planes have left here since I arrived.

It is now 11:20 and visibility is much better.  A plane has just landed (alas, not mine) but they just announced our plane is now boarding in Atlanta, so I may possibly make my 4pm flight out of Atlanta.

Finally boarded a little after 2 and arrived in Atlanta at 3:45.  Of course, we came in at gate B39 and I had to board at A29 which required lengthy walks and a ride on plane train between concourses.  I would never had made it if the flight had not been delayed (frequent followers know I walk slowly).  I was stuck in a middle seat but at least I was on the plane.

Arrived in hot, humid FLL a little after 6pm.  Unfortunately, one of my suitcases was not as quick as I was because only one appeared on the carousel.  Baggage Claim confirmed it had stayed in Atlanta but would come on a later flight and be delivered to my hotel.

Checked in to the hotel and went to the Manager's Reception where quite of a few of the Sail-away Gang were meeting.  About 7:30 we headed out to eat.  The restaurant was packed and although we had a reservation they could not seat all 24 of us in the same area.  Nine of us ate on the patio and the rest inside.  A good time was had and the manager of the restaurant gave us each a piece of cake for dessert.

Returned around ten and still no suitcase.  Looked online and found one of the flights out of Atlanta was cancelled and the others were delayed so won't get my suitcase until tomorrow.

Showered and going to bed early (before midnight)!

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment