Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Getting Ready!

The countdown is into the single digits and it is almost time to leave for another amazing cruise.

Last week I took all my daywear out of the cruise closet and folded them neatly (unlike the way they will come home!).  I do have a couple of pairs of pants and a jacket that need to be ironed before I pack them (the ship I am on does not have a self-service laundromat and won't allow me to bring my steamer).

Sunday, I made the final decisions about evening wear.  Holland America is not as dressy as Cunard (we only have four formal nights) but I still like to "dress" for dinner.  I will be taking three dresses, two pairs of dress pants (white and black), a long skirt and evening tops, jackets and scarves.  I've decided on two pairs of evening shoes - black and silver.

I have also started putting all the "stuff" in one place.  For my January crossing, I packed all the clothes and then put the "stuff" on top.  When I unpacked, I had to dig through to find the clothes so I am considering doing it differently this time.  One thought is to put all the "stuff" in my small suitcase (carry-on size) and only clothes, shoes, and handbags in the large one.

I have started my final "To do" list which seems to be getting longer, rather than shorter, each day!

Clothes started going into the suitcase on Tuesday.  Uh-oh!  It seems like it is filling up really fast.

On Wednesday I finished putting all my clothes in the suitcase and what did I discover???? Everything DOES NOT fit!  I was planning on taking my 22" (carry-on size) bag and my 28" bag.  So I was not real happy when I found things did not fit.  Finally decided I would take my 27" bag and 28" bag and be done with it.  Both bags are spinners and fairly easy to get around (and I really don't have to schlep them too far),

Back in the 80s and 90s when I took coach tours almost every summer, I was only allowed one suitcase and a carry-on (limit was 16 inches).  I managed all summer.  What is different now?

With that packing problem solved I moved right into another dilemma.  I could not find the cord for my bluetooth keyboard or, more importantly, the charger and cord for my camera.  Why do you look in the same place time after time, somehow thinking it wasn't there the other 25 times you looked but would magically appear on the 26th try????

After about an hour and a half of fruitless searching, I opened my purse and what was right on the top?  Of course, it was my camera cord.  When and why I put it there I still cannot say but I was relieved to find it.  (I had found the keyboard cord previously).

I had just enough time to watch a sail-away before it was time for me to meet with my friends to plan my next cruise.  This one will be different since I am going with four friends (I will still have my own cabin).

It is now 3:04 so I need to be getting ready for bed.  For those who have read my previous blogs, you know I am a night owl and llke to sleep late.  Thursday is my last chance to do that for three weeks!

Smooth sailing until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kathi

    I enjoyed reading your trials with packing! A good compromise, indeed!
    Saw the photos of where the sail-away gang will be and will be watching!
    Just a couple of days and you're there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathi, I will be reading your blog and hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete