Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

April 18

Woke up about 6:15 as we were docking and was just drifting back to sleep when the alarm went off at 7:00.  Watched the morning show as I dressed and then down to the Pinnacle Bar to meet the other roll call members going on a private tour with Odyssey Tours.

The company had a mix-up about getting permission to come into the port with their vans so we didn't get off until 8:30.  Luckily there was a shady spot to sit and wait.

We had a young German couple join our tour.  They were supposed to be sailing on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship (the Sun, I think) that had technical difficulties and the cruise was cancelled last week.  They were among a number of people who were able to switch to the Westerdam.  Although they look to be less than half the age of the average HAL passenger, they were quite happy with the ship and complimented the food.  The NCL ship was supposed to be in port tomorrow so the tour operator put them with us.

We had three vans of people and I understand the a/c did not work in one.  Our first stop was at one of the numerous road-side stands in Costa Rica that sell fruit, candy, drinks, etc.  and had a delicious banana smoothie.

Then on to the zip-lining place.  For those who know me, I would no more zip line than jump off a bridge but we did have a few brave souls who did it.  While they were zip lining the rest of us went to the butterfly sanctuary.  Actually they have a variety of frogs, butterflies, turtles, snakes and a few birds.  We walked through the area (and stood a lot) but the guide was very good.

After the sanctuary we went back to pick up the zip liners before heading to a local, open-air, restaurant for our included lunch.  There was a choice of fish, beef, pork or chicken and everyone on our van had the fish or chicken.  Fresh juice came with the meal (I think it was mango).  The food looked better than it tasted.

After lunch some people had signed up to do a boat tour along the Crocodile River.  We dropped them off and then the rest of us returned to the ship, arriving at 2:30.  We could have made a coffee/souvenir shopping stop but nobody was interested.

My first order of business upon returning to my cabin was a cool shower a change of clothes, and a bit of a rest (although I did not actually sleep) before heading to trivia.  We had 13 correct but the winning team had 14.
Q. Delta, Diamond and box are all types of what?
Q. The book "Sands of Time" is about which sport?
Q. Which Spanish explorer discovered Florida?

After trivia Penny, June and I went to the Lido.  I had decided this morning that with three early mornings in a row that I did not want to get dressed for dinner and go to the 10:00 show which would put me to bed later than I want.  Dinner was good although I still prefer the main dining room.

Two of my Cruise Critic friends sat down as I was eating my dessert (cookie dough ice cream cone) and I talked with them until it was time to go to the show at 8:00.  I have only been to the ten o'clock show, where seats are plentiful, and was surprised how packed the theatre was.  I got one of the last empty seats.

The singer was Paul Baker, an Olivier Award winner, singing mostly show tunes.  He was excellent and received a standing ovation.

Name That Tune 50s and 60s was at 9:30.  There were only three of us (June, Penny and I) but we did very well tying for the win.  We received another HAL Panama Canal pin for our win.  Back to my cabin to try and make it an early night (depending on the co-operation of the internet in getting this posted).

My first visit to Nicaragua tomorrow.

Afternoon trivia - kites, beach volleyball, Ponce de Leon

Smooth sailing until next time!

food stand

a large lizard


scarlet macaw

owl butterfly

hand basin at one of our stops

green and black poison dart frog

Vistamar Restaurant

Chicken lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment