Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

At sea

April 13

There was a Knitters and Stitchers meeting scheduled for this morning but it was at 9 am.  As much as I love those get togethers, that was too early for me considring the number of early morning excursions to come.  I actually woke up about 9:15 and watched the morning show and then went to the Lido for a biscuit before our Meet and Greet.  There were about 40-50 present.  The Captain, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director and a few others from the ship stopped in.  The Captain said he enjoys tooting the horn as much as the Sail-Away Gang likes to hear it.  The picture show him with his award for 'dam good tooting.

After a quick lunch in the Lido it was time for trivia.  I met June and Penny from trivia yesterday and Grace and Richard joined the team.  We had 12 out of 15 and came in second.

Q. Which has the most genes - a human, a gerbil, or a rice plant?
Q. Which European country was the first to have a woman president?

Next on the agenda was Bunco.  A group of 12 us on our Cruise Critic roll call had decided to play but only six actually showed up.  Rules were changed a little and we all played at one table (no partners).  It was fun even though I had the lowest score.  I did make one Bunco which was on the last round.  We are going to play again tomorrow.

Then time for my afternoon ice cream and some quiet reading time before getting ready for the evening.

Pub trivia with Santana (at 7pm) is more laid back than the Team Trivia with Shane (at 1 pm).
Tonight I played with June and Penny again and this time Connie and Sue joined us.  We came in second but Santana liked our team name (the dam-sels) which June thought up so we received a HAL pin.

Q. Name the monk who it is said created champagne.
Q. What is the largest animal ever to exist?
Q.  English is the official language of the most countries.  What is second?

At dinner we had another lady join us (so we are now up to six at the table) who is with a large group traveling with AAA from Washington.  Dinner was very good - I had the "Land and Sea" which is filet mignon and jumbo prawns and cherry crisp for dessert.

Tonight is the first formal night.  There were a few tuxes, I saw two men in Scottish regalia and some ladies in long dresses.  Many were much more informal than the way I interpret "formal".

I stopped to buy my embarkation photo (for my scrapbook) after dinner and found I had killed another key card.  Day three of the cruise and I am on my third key card.  The lady at the desk just laughed when I asked if there was a record for the most murdered key cards in one cruise.
   
The show tonight was by the Westerdam singers and dancers and called "Playback".  They sang and danced to songs like "Words" and "Man in the Mirror".  They were very good.

Tonight we gain an hour of sleep.  One more sea day and we will be in Cartagena.

Afternoon trivia - rice plant, Iceland
Evening trivia - Dom Perignon, great blue whale, French

Smooth sailing until next time!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kathi, Who is that presenting the award to the Captain? Enjoying your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy

    This blog is such a treat!! Love the photos of the cabin and of the meet and greet. These make me feel "on the cruise". You are an enjoyable writer and your efforts are much appreciated!
    SilvertoGold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Kathi... Would it be possible to identify some of the gang so we can put faces with the names. Where was Mumsy on the sailaway photo?

    Leon

    ReplyDelete