Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Tuesday, April 21, 2015


Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

April 21

When I first started looking into this cruise, I knew that five port days in a row were too much for me.  Since we have four stops in Mexico, I decided I would make at least two of them into personal "sea days".  Today was the first of these.

Having had three early (for me) days in a row, I planned to sleep until I woke up - however long that might be.  We lost an hour of sleep last night (I overheard someone say that was because Mexico does not observe Daylight Saving Time) so I went to bed at the adjusted time of 1 AM and woke up at 10:56.  The captain made a long announcement this morning about a delay in docking I was told but I slept right through it.

Watching the ports presentation last night I found out that the port had a small shopping center in the visitors' center.  Although it was very hot, I walked over, bought a couple of souvenirs then headed back to the ship.

Headed to the Lido for lunch but needed something cold to drink so I tried the iced tea which was not too bad.  Sat and talked with a couple of CC friends while downing four glasses of tea (they were small glasses).  After they left I ate lunch and then headed for 2:30 trivia.  Once again we tied for first place and lost on the third tie-breaker.  We all received pins however which were again the Panama Canal ones.

Q. What is the official currency of the British Virgin Islands?
Q. Which 1975 movie was the first to show in a 1000 theaters?
Q. Who is the patron saint of pawn brokers?

Culinary trivia was about wines and spirits (I only knew two answers).  A couple joined us and they knew something on the topic and we ended up tying for first place.  We all got pins.
Q.  How many bottles of wine in a typical case?
Q.  How long must Scotch whiskey be aged?

Next was flag trivia and we did very poorly (not the lowest score but only six out of seventeen).  There was a young man who loved studying flags and his team had all 17 points.  (We could have used Sheldon Cooper and his "Fun With Flags").

Tonight was a formal night.  Got ready for the evening then went to Northern Lights (which has really uncomfortable seats) for Name That Tune.  We thought we did very poorly but 13 out of 18 gave us a win.  We also got an extra point for our name "From C to Sea".  You will not be surprised as to our prize - yes, another Panama Canal pin!

Stopped by the B.B. King's Blues Club on the way to dinner.  I had Tournedos Rossini and creme brûlée.  As the evening progressed I wasn't feeling my best so I skipped the ABBA show and plan to go to bed as soon as I finish this.

Trvia - US dollar, Jaws, St. Nicholas
Culinary trivia - 12, three years and a day

Smooth sailing until next time!









No comments:

Post a Comment