Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Embarkation Day

April 11

So much for my plans to go to bed early.  I got into bed and started thinking about all the things in my missing suitcase.  About 1 AM I gave up trying to sleep and got up.  There was a text message that my suitcase had arrived in Fort Lauderdale and was on the van to be delivered.  So I got dressed and went down to sit in the lobby.  At 1:39 the suitcase arrived!  Back to bed much relieved.

Got up around 9:15 and decided to go to the lobby and get a glass of juice (too early for food) and see if any of the "gang" were around to discuss how they were getting to the ship.  By ten many were getting ready to leave.  I finally decided to take the hotel shuttle ($8) because I knew from last year a taxi would cost me more.

Arrived at the ship around 11:15.  The line to check in was fairly short (only a few people ahead of me) and was done by 11:25.  At 11:35 they started calling numbers to board the ship.  I was #20 and was on the ship a little before noon.  Went to see my cabin and then to lunch in the Lido.

After lunch I walked around the ship checking out the similarities and differences between the Westerdam and Queen Elizabeth (they are of basically the same class).   Ended up  in the Crow's Nest and Explorations Cafe, which is where the library and Internet Center are located.  Turns out that Carnival Corporation (which owns HAL and Cunard as well as seven other cruise lines) is testing unlimited wi-fi.  So for $229 I can stay online all day (you don't have to log out and count minutes) for 16 days.  I very quickly signed up.

My luggage showed up around 3pm.  I needed to get the Holland America flag that a Cruise Critic friend had loaned the roll call for sail-away.    At four the first stage of the muster drill started (that lets the crew know there is an emergency and to get to their stations) finally at 4:15 we were supposed to leave our cabins and report to their muster station out on deck 3.  (Cunard's meeting inside is much easier for those who have trouble standing - especially in the sun.)

As soon as the drill was over it was time to report to the spot where we were going to wave to the webcam as we cruised out of the channel.  We had at least 20 people and the Captain did not disappoint us with over 100 toots of the horn.

Decided I needed a sail-away libation and I chose the drink of the day - Caribbean Cooler (coconut rum, peach schnapps, orange and pineapple juice).   Yum!  Then it was time to get ready for dinner as I had decided to check out the trivia.

This trivia was very different from what I am used to.  Any number on a team and you check  your own paper.  I was late arriving so I just listened.  The questions were fairly easy.
Q.  How old was Princess Diana when she died?
Q.  The praying mantis is the only insect to have only one what?
Q.  At the start of WWI, what was the only independent country besides Liberia in Africa?
Now, I thought not giving the answers in previous blogs would make my readers run to Google and look up the answers.  A couple of friends let me know that questions must have answers given so I will strive to do better this cruise.

I am at a table for eight but only five showed for dinner.  Two ladies are from Vancouver and a couple is from Portland, Oregon.  I had delicious French onion soup and prime rib.  The other two ladies at the table had very tough meat but mine was delicious.  Red Velvet Cake for dessert.

Looked at the pictures and shops as I walked to the show which was a welcoming one.  Alas, there will be no orange juice night caps on this cruise because the soda package only covers soda.  So I returned to my cabin to work on the blog.  I am too tired to work on pictures tonight so will update (hopefully tomorrow) posts with some pictures.

Now the moment you have all been waiting for (well, at least Nancy and Frances), the trivia  ANSWERS!  36, ear, Ethiopia

Private Island, Half Moon Cay, tomorrow.

Smooth sailing until next time!




1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Answers to the trivia questions! Makes my day!

    ReplyDelete