Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Thursday, April 30, 2015

At Sea

April 29

I woke up about 8:45 and decided I needed to get all the clothes I had folded and placed on the sofa put into the suitcase.  Did this as I watched the morning show (guest today was the comedian performing tonight).

At 9:30 I decided I had as much fun as I could take packing (ugh!) and went to the theater to get a seat for Charles McClelland's penultimate lecture.  His lectures have been very popular and the theater usually fills up fast.  I sat and read until 10:00 when the lecture started.  Today's and tomorrow's lectures are on "What Ifs" of history such as "What if the Mayflower had landed where it was supposed to?

After the lecture I went to the Crow's Nest to get seats for noon Team trivia. Connie, Sue, June, Penny and I had 12 correct which was enough to win.  We got notepads which Shane (CD) said was a sign that they were running out of prizes.
Q.  Where was Titanic built?
Q.  Which musical was about Charlemagne's son?
Q.  What is the only weight in the international radio alphabet?
Q.  What sport was the subject of many Degas paintings?

Because I have cruised on one of the Carnival Corp. lines (Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Princess, HAL, P&O UK, P&O Australia, Seabourn, and Aida), I qualified as a one star Mariner in HALs loyalty program.  I was invited to the Mariner's Luncheon today but wasn't going to go but June was invited so we went together.  The Cruise Director and the Captain greeted us and lunch was good.

After lunch June and I went to the Captain's Q&A session.  Someone asked about the horn blowing upon leaving Fort Lauderdale.  The Captain mentioned that there was a group that counted the toots each week and how he even received an award for the Westerdam being the "Queen of Horns".

Met up with Penny and stayed for the Philippine Crew Show.  Lots of enthusiasm in the show.

Food Trivia was at 4:00.  We didn't do very well.
Q.  What fruit is actually a berry produced by a giant herb tree?
Q.  What sauce is made of anchovies (including the bones) dissolved in vinegar?
Q.  What was the first genetically engineered food in 1994?

Ice cream in the Lido and read for awhile before getting ready for the evening.  Pub trivia was hard and we only had 8 correct.
Q.  From what country does Gorgonzola cheese come?
Q.  What company buys more sugar and vanilla than any other?
Q.  In what country did the orange originate?

Dinner tonight was international night with choices from around the world.  I had Shrimp Provençal and Kiwi Pavlova.  The room stewards, chefs, and dining room stewards marched through the MDR.

The show tonight was Buzz Sutherland, a comedian.  It was nice to see a comedian who is funny with a clean show.

Team trivia - Belfast, Pippin, kilo, horse racing
Food trivia - banana, Worcestershire sauce, tomato
Pub trivia - Italy, Coca-Cola, China

Smooth sailing until next time!

Mariners Lunch menu


Crab, shrimp and avacado appetizer (although I never did taste any avacado)


Braised short ribs


Coconut Creme Brulee tart




Philippine Crew Show


International Dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment