Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Friday, April 17, 2015

Transiting the Panama Canal

April 16

Since I transited the canal last year I did not feel the need to be on deck starting at dawn.  I did wake up around 5:30 and opened the curtains and could see the lights along the coast.  I woke up again a little after 7 to see people standing outside my window.  I was hoping that you really couldn't see in!

Since this would likely be my only opportunity to be out on the "balcony" outside my cabin, I got dressed, grabbed my second-best camera and walked the eight feet to go outside.  I took a couple of pictures and looked down on to the bow of the ship on deck 4.  The famous "Panama Rolls" that I had read so much about were out there.  Could not pass up the opportunity to have one so down to four and out on the bow.  Took one back to my cabin for later.

Having determined that you really could not see in my window, I went back to bed for a couple more hours sleep (didn't go to bed until 1 AM).  Up for good a little before ten.  Ate the Panama Roll (it was delicious) as I got dressed again.  I went to the class on using the photo editing features of Windows 8 at 10:30.

Then it was up to deck 9 to watch our progress through Gatun Lake.  I had decided to try the "Dive-In" for lunch.  I had a burger which was just fair (I am very picky about my burgers) and fries.

Spent some time on the Promenade Deck before heading for 1 PM trivia which was called "Where in the World Trivia Challenge".  They showed pictures of famous places that we had to identify.  One was Monticello but unfortunately they were not all that easy.  We did not win.

When the game ended we were just getting close to the Centennial Bridge and the Pedro Miguel Locks (the second set).  I spent over an hour on the Promenade Deck watching as we went through the lock.  Luckily it was overcast most of the day which kept it much cooler than what you would expect (and cooler than when I went through the canal in January last year).  We had one downpour and there was a thunderstorm off in the distance.

Sat and read for awhile as we approached the last set of locks, the Miraflores.  It was then time for Culinary Trivia which today was on cheese.
Q. What is Swiss cheese without holes called?
Q. Which animal has the highest proportional milk production?
Q. Which cheese has less fat - hard or soft?

Watched us sailing past Panama City in the Lido where I read for a bit and worked on the blog.  Then it was time to get ready for the evening.

Tonight's trivia was "Silly" trivia which included riddles.  We had six on the team - Penny, June, Sue, Connie, Sue (yes, we have two Sues) and me.  We ended up with all answers - including the bonus- correct.  We won HAL Panama Canal pins.
Q.  What is full of holes but still holds water?
Q.  What gets bigger the more you take away from it?
Q.  Forwards I'm heavy, backwards I'm not.  What am I?
Q.  What is the longest sentence in the world?
Q.  When is 2 and 2 more than four?

Once again only five for dinner.  I had Chicken Cordon Bleu and chocolate avalanche cake.  The show tonight was "Sound Stage" with the Westerdam singers and dances.  It wasn't what I was expecting but it was good.

Good news (I hope).  After trying to recharge my best camera twice yesterday and only getting the "Battery Empty" message or a blank screen, I decided to give it another try today.   I left it plugged in all day and when I came back later in the day, the camera was working again!  Let's hope it stays that way.

Trivia Answers -  Cheese - blind, goat, hard
Silly - a sponge, a hole, ton, life sentence, 22

Another sea day tomorrow and then five port days in a row!!!

Smooth sailing until next time!

Gatun Locks

Panama Rolls
one of the mules that keep the ship straight


note the difference in water levels on each side of the lock


view of Centennial Bridge approaching Pedro Miguel Locks

looking out a deck 2 window before water is removed.

view from same deck 2 window after water removed



 

No comments:

Post a Comment