Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

At Sea

April 28

Woke up a little after nine and turned on the morning show (it was a repeat) while I dressed.  The orange juice yesterday was so good I went to the Lido to try it again.  Not as good as yesterday's but I did get a cinnamon bun (ok but not a Cinnabon) and saw Penny and June.  Ate with them until time for our last planned Cruise Critic get together.

We had set up time to exchange tips and suggestions on tablets/iPads and using some software.  About ten showed up but we were quickly run out of the Pinnacle Bar because Mahjong was scheduled.  We tried the Explorer's Lounge but they were setting up for the art auction.  We finally ended up in the Atrium Bar by which time we were down to about six people.

Much cooler today with the temperature around 12C/54F.  It is cloudy with an occasional glimpse of the sun.

Lunch in the Lido where I was joined by dinner companions Patty and Marj.  At one it was time for trivia.  We were one below the winners with thirteen correct.
Q.  What is the largest city in Libya?
Q.  In area, what is the second largest country?
Q.  What country's name means "Land of the Bengalis"?

Went down to food trivia (again we had to change venues because of the art auction).  We thought we did poorly but won with seven points.
Q.  What kind of milk never curdles?
Q.  During the 30s "cucumber" was slang for what in the US?
Q.  Name a suggested flavor of jello that was ultimately rejected.

I then attended my first tea on HAL with Connie, Sue, June and Penny.  This one was the "Royal Dutch High Tea".  It was held in the Vista Dining Room.  The food is set out in two buffet lines.  After choosing your food, you choose a tea.  I picked Rooibos cinnamon.  Then you sit and they bring you hot water.  Very different than on Cunard.

After tea I went to the Lido to read and work on the blog.  Back to my cabin around five where I started folding clothes to pack.

Connie, Sue, June, Penny and I played Pub Trivia at 7:00.  We won with 15 points and our prize was the adult beverage of our choice.
Q.  How many bits in a byte?
Q.  What percentage of chimpanzee DNA is idenial to human?
Q.  In what present day country is the city of Timbuktu?

We have had a little bit of motion tonight and I heard one and saw another person getting sick.  Two of my tablemates left dinner early because they were feeling seasick (the bags are out by the elevators).  I had prime rib and peach crisp.

After dinner I did something that I never thought I would write about in a blog.  I went to karaoke.    My trivia friend June was singing so I wanted to see her.  She was one of three participants who could really sing.  There were a few people who embarked yesterday who were rather inebriated and were singing and dancing and much rowdier than what is considered typical on HAL.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Team trivia - Tripoli, Canada, Bangladesh
Food trivia - camel, dollar, chocolate, Apple, celery, coffee, or cola
Pub trivia - 8, 98%, Mali

Smooth sailing until next time!

Some pictures of the tea





No comments:

Post a Comment