Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Monday, May 4, 2015

Seattle, Washington

May 3

Woke up a little after 9 and stopped by the continental breakfast around 10 for a glass of orange juice and a muffin.  Then set out and took some pictures in the area before walking to the trolley stop.

On the ship a number of people told me I had to go to the observation deck on the Seattle if it was clear.  Well, it was another beautiful sunny day in Seattle so, even though I hate heights, I decided to do it.  Got in line for a ticket and was able to get on the elevator within 15 minutes.

The Space Needle was built for the 1962 World's Fair and has been popular even since.  The elevator gets you to the observation deck in about 40 seconds.  I made sure I stood in the back of the elevator away from the glass.  Once you get to the top there is an enclosed area and then a few steps down is the open area.  It didn't actually bother me because you could not look straight down.  The view was spectacular and Mount Rainier was clearly visible (the guide on the trolley says it is only visible about 1 day out of 10).  Spent an hour at the top and I bet nobody will be surprised to find that the elevator that brings you down goes directly to the gift shop.  They had a Seattle scrapbook package on sale so I had to have it.

Back on the trolley for a ride downtown.  I was going to walk around and find something to eat and since the trolley was empty they dropped me off right by Macy's.  I walked around and ended up in the food court at Westlake Center.  As I was eating my pretzel and drinking a smoothie I watched the monorail (also built for the '62 World's Fair and still using the same cars) I thought that would be a fun thing to do and get me back to the trolley stop.  It only takes a few minutes but it gave me another view of the city.

Got on the 5:00 trolley and rode back round to Pioneer Square arriving just before 6:00.  Both of  my keycards had stopped functioning so I had to go back to the desk to get them reactivated.

Since I had not had a real lunch, I decided to try the Italian Restaurant two doors down from the hotel.  Had a delicious spaghetti and meatball dinner.  Back to the hotel around 7:00

Back to Virginia tomorrow.

Smooth sailing until next time!


the hotel where I am staying

 
                                                                              street art

the Pioneer Building was built in 1892 and during the gold rush many of the mining companies had their headquarters there - later it was a speakeasy during Prohibition

Chief Sealth the Duwamish leader for which the city is named

the Space Needle


view of the city with Mount Rainier about in the center of the picture

one of three giant metal spiders on the roof of a building


a view of the sound and mountains



note the monorail in the center of picture 

ferry coming into the sound

four pictures of Chihuly art






monorail


monument to firefighters in Occidental Square

a rally in Occidental Square



Waterfall Garden at the sight where UPS was started

No comments:

Post a Comment