Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Seattle, Washington

May 2

Had a hard time getting to sleep last night.  I tossed and turned for over an hour, finally falling asleep after 1 am.  The announcement for self-disembarkation came around 7:20 but I went back to sleep since my scheduled time was 9:00.  Got up a little before eight and was heading to deck 2 to wait when the announcement for my tag color came at 8:30!

Walked right off (no line) and Shane, the CD, and a number of crew members were saying goodbye as we got off.  Found my luggage quickly and bumped into Connie and Sue and had a chance to say bye again.  No trouble getting a taxi and was at the hotel at 9:00.

Luckily, they were able to find me a room so I was able to leave my things before heading out for the day.  I am staying in Pioneer Square, a very historic area.  The hotel is in a registered historical building.  The area is kind of quirky.  It was the area where the city began when Henry Yeslar built a lumber mill in the area in the 1850s.  Much of it was destroyed in a fire in the 1880s but became important again when the Klondike Gold Rush began in the late 1890s.  The miners would stop here and get all of the supplies they needed for the gold fields.

Headed out for the Emerald City trolley about 9:15.  Had to wait until about 9:45 but there was a nice park bench in the square to sit on.  Took the trolley around once and then got off the Pike Place Market.  Had lunch then walked around for about three hours.  I visited the oldest existing Starbucks (they moved to this location around 1976 although it is usually referred to as the "first" one).  I saw them throwing the fish at Pike Place Fish Co. but was unable to get a picture (they were too fast).  The flower stalls were amazing and a huge bouquet was only $10.  All kinds of little shops and stalls on a variety of levels to look through.

Got back on the trolley around three and rode back to Pioneer Square (about two hours) and picked up a couple of soft drinks and a sandwich because I was too tired to go back out for dinner.

Looked through my pictures and enjoyed high speed internet (unlimited internet on the ship was nice but not always fast).  Turned on the TV to a Seattle station that was playing Canadian shows.  I was very surprised to find the episode of "Murdoch Mysteries" based on the book I am reading.    What a coincidence!

The weather was very different from what I was expecting.  I was thinking cloudy skies and rain (at least showers).  The sky was very blue (reminded me of the line in the song "Seattle" that says "The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle").  Heard on the news that the high was 64F but I was glad I took my jacket with me.  (Tomorrow is supposed to be 71.)

Another day on the trolley tomorrow.

Smooth sailing until next time!

Smith Towere built in 1914 and once the tallest building west of the Mississippi

street scene in Pioneer Square


street scene in Pioneer Square

iron and glass pergola originally built in 1909

dragon on lightpole in International District


International picture

just a few of the flowers at the market


inside of the oldest existing Starbucks

some of the fishmongers at Pike Place fish


the famous entrance

best picture I could get of the Space Needle


King Street Station

paving stones laid out in a Native American basket weaving pattern



No comments:

Post a Comment