Where is M/S Westerdam now? click here

Monday, May 4, 2015

Seattle to home (not really but I am in Virginia)

May 4

Woke up for the first time around 5:15 and about every half hour after that until finally getting out of bed at 8:48.  Checked my messages and, sure enough, my flight had been delayed.  When I booked in November the flight was supposed to leave Sea-Tac at 12:50 and arrive at IAD at 8:38 giving me an hour and 22 minutes lay over.  In February the flight was changed to 1:21 arriving at Dulles at 9:20 (layover down to 40 minutes).  This morning's message says we will not leave Seattle until 1:50 but arrive in Washington at 9:30.  Without any more delays I should make my Richmond flight (but my bags might not, which is ok since I'm going home).

After getting dressed I went down to the continental breakfast and had some juice and a roll.  Went back and got my luggage and then called for a cab.  They said 3-7 minutes but the taxi arrived as I was schlepping my second suitcase out of the door of the hotel.  The ride to the airport only took 20 minutes and I was checked in five minutes later.

Although my boarding pass was not marked "TSA pre approved" I was sent to that lane and was through much faster (and did not have to take off my shoes) than the other lanes.  One of my Cruise Critic friends and I had a discussion about this and he thinks it has to do with age (old people are less likely to be terrorists???).

Found a nice place to sit by a big picture window where I can watch the planes load/unload and take off/land.  Bought an over priced, not very tasty bagel while waiting.

It is now 1:05 and my flight is now delayed until 2:10 and not scheduled to arrive in DC until 10:02 - after my connecting flight leaves.

About 1:15 they announced that those who would not make connecting flights needed to get in line to discuss changes.  In a not very proactive manner there were only two employees (although there were four computers) to make changes for the 20 or so people in line.  I was up to the fourth in line when boarding started.  We backed away from the gate at 2:18 so I will definitely not make my flight.

I am in seat 1B (asked for 3B but they changed planes and 3B is in economy on this one) and have a good view of the galley and the door to the cockpit.  Just watched an interesting safety measure.  The captain signaled that he needed to come out of the cockpit so the flight attendant in the front called for one in the back to come forward.  After she did they placed one of the trolleys sideways across the bulkhead so nobody could get past.  The captain came out and one of the flight attendants went in (I understand US carriers have been doing this for some time whereas European ones only started after the tragedy with the German plane).  Only after the copilot had a break did the attendant come out and they finally removed the trolley barricade.  (They just did it again and I was able to get a picture.)

They served lunch which was not the best meal ever.  The salad was tasty but the chicken was so dry I thought I was going to choke.  There was an interesting potato cake and some broccoli that had seen better days.  On the other hand the gelato (first time I ever had that on a plane) was delicious as was the chocolate chip cookie that was brought around six pm (still on Pacific time).

We landed at 10:00 so I missed my flight.  United has me booked on a flight tomorrow that should get me home about 1:30 pm.  They gave me a voucher for a hotel that gave me half off a room at the Hilton (I only have to pay $69 plus tax).  Took the hotel shuttle with a van load of other stranded passengers.  The hotel does not even have free wifi so I am using my iPhone as a personal hotspot.

Going to watch The Tonight Show and go to bed.  Will have a final post tomorrow.

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment